It’s Genital Integrity Awareness Week and I feel compelled to discuss male circumcision.
I strongly disagree with routine male circumcision. Why?
- Baby boys are born perfect, just like baby girls
- It has no proven health benefits– it is mostly done for cosmetic purposes. What baby needs an unnecessary cosmetic surgery?
- Babies DIE from routine circumcision. Many more are scarred and suffer complications lasting a lifetime
- It’s big business. Foreskins are SOLD to make face creams, amongst other things. Doctors make money performing the procedure, as well as selling to corporations profiting from circumcision
- It’s cruel and barbaric, often performed without anesthesia and done to a trusting, newborn baby
- Most of the world does not cut their baby boys–they protect them and recognize the importance of all the body parts
- Girls are protected by law in many places from the ritualistic practice of female circumcision — why aren’t boys?
- It’s your baby’s body. It’s his choice about what cosmetic surgeries he may want later in life. Don’t steal that from him.
- “looking like Dad” is not a good enough reason to inflict an outdated, painful, risky procedure on a little baby
These are just a few reasons. Please research the dangers of routine circumcision. A few excellent sites are listed below. Look into it, because I truly understand that many people and parents have been given misinformation that has affected their decision regarding circumcision. It’s time to recognize the facts and speak up for our children.