If you are trying to conceive or just planning a pregnancy in the near future I have some great advice for you. Contact a doula in your area and see if she offers a pre-pregnancy planning session. What benefit is this to you? Especially for first time moms a pregnancy span is a short time in which to explore all of your options or to even see what type of pregnancy, birth, and parenting philosophies you may choose. A pre-pregnancy session can help you get information about:
- Pregnancy Providers — OB/GYN, Midwives, Home Birth Options — which is right for you?
- Childbirth Class Styles in your area — you may be surprised and even a little overwhelmed at the different styles of classes
- Childcare Recommendations if you plan to go back to work or Mother’s Day Out Programs even if you aren’t
- Parenting Stores — who in your town carries cloth diapers or the nursery bedding you have in mind
- Specialized Prenatal Care — chiropractors who specialize in working with pregnant women, nutritionists, etc.
- Doulas — would a birth doula or a postpartum doula help you out the most? (or both)
- Evidence based informational sites so as to not get hopelessly lost in the murky world of Google and mommy blogs
- Support groups for specialized situations such as autoimmune disorders, pregnancy after loss, high risk scenarios
- Breastfeeding support — if you have a wailing baby at 3 am you won’t want to be googling the best place for help
Those are but a few of the many resources that doulas will be familiar with in your area. I absolutely love when I am contacted by a hoping-to-be-pregnant-soon woman. Locally in Knoxville we have an almost overwhelming amount of options for each segment of pregnancy, birth, and parenting. I can help you discover which direction you are interested in exploring and whom you choose to hire or give your business to so all your needs are met and all in a non judgmental or hidden agenda manner. The fee is $50.00 for 90 minutes of planning and resources.
If you are out of the area, check with your local doulas for recommendations! Doulas are “hooked in” to help you navigate the process of learning your own style of parenting. We know all the local parenting stores, the childbirth educators, and often have a unique view into places to give birth.
All Rights Reserved, Kimberly Sebeck aka Knoxville Doula, 2014